Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chalkboard placemats

For my girl's stocking stuffers, I made them some chalkboard placemats. They love them! We were going on a big car trip and thought that it would be something fun to bring in the car. I will attempt a tutorial on how I made them. I didn't take pictures and I hope the tutorial makes sense without...sorry!

Materials:
-1/2 yard of chalkboard fabric (it totally stinks when the store cuts it, but that goes away. Joanns carries this fabric)
-1/2 yard fabric
- fabric scraps for chalkholder
-thread


1. I traced a placemat that I had to get the size that I wanted. Cut out 1 piece of the chalkboard fabric and one piece of the coordinating fabric.

2. To make the chalkholder: Cut two rectangles from your scrap of fabric. My first rectangle was about 4 1/2" by 3". And my second rectangle was 4". Fold the 4" rectangle in half so it is 2" long. For the other rectangle, fold the edges under about 1/4" on the top and the side. Put the 2" long rectangle on top of the other rectangle. Pin onto the chalk fabric in the corner. Topstitch around the side and top of the rectangle. Sew a line down the 2" rectangle in the middle. Ta Da! You have the chalkholder.



3. Then put right sides together of the chalk fabric and your other fabric. Sew all the way around, and leave an opening to flip it.

4. Flip it to the right side. Then topstitch all the way around the placemat.

5. You have the condition the chalk fabric by rubbing chalk on it and then wiping away with a papertowel or cloth.

6. And you are done!! (I will have to take pictures next time I make one!)

I think next time, I am going to make a smaller one. The bigger one was hard for my kids to color on in the car.

1 comment:

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I love this idea & I've never seen "chalkboard fabric". Thanks for enlightening me!

Warmly, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...